Thursday, December 27, 2007

What is a Runner?

I was at the gym (a couple of months ago) and Hector (a trainer) was stretching my legs out on one of the tables. I usually get a nice stretch after a hard work out or after a tough race. Another trainer walked by and said “Damn! She is FLEXIBLE!”

To which Hector replied “That’s because she’s a runner.”

Now, I’ve always been flexible. My mother loves to tell stories of me wedging myself places growing up, as well as what seems to be her favorite story of embarrassment that tells of me preferring to suck on my toes rather than my thumbs as a small child. Participation in track and field from the 4th grade until my sophomore year in college, 4 years of high school cheerleading and the up keep of all that stretching through coaching, and pilates and yoga. And let’s face it…I LOVE to stretch!! There’s nothing better than stretching. It always feels wonderful! As a result, I’m pretty bendy, probably more so than the average person.

My point is not that I’m a human rubber band, rather Hector’s comment: “That’s because she’s a runner.”

It was the first time I’ve heard someone describe me as a “runner”. I’ve been a “thrower”, a “cheerleader” and an “athlete”. Even with all the miles I’ve put in training for the ½ marathon, I didn’t think of myself as a runner. I’d say I’m a jock. I’d agree that I’m fairly athletic, but not a runner. I’ve grown to like running, but I never thought I was a runner. Even after crossing the finish line of the Chicago Distance Classic, I didn’t even think I was a runner.

What then is a runner? It can’t be me. I’m definitely not built like a runner. Runner’s are tiny svelte people who finish much more quickly than I. Runner’s don’t stop to walk because they’re tired or their lungs hate them. Runner’s look much better in those tiny shorts and sport tops. Runner’s go out in crazy heat and cold. How can I be a runner?

Is it possible that I’ve become a runner with out realizing it? If you look at my other blog, it’s clear that the amount of time I’ve spent running/working out has drastically increased though the year. I now understand the benefit of tech shirts, blister free socks and Body Glide. I feel better after a run. I even believe that Advil is its own food group.

Is being a runner a mind set? Hell, I just registered for an actual marathon, and it still hadn’t occurred to me that I’m a runner! I actually told myself that “It’s ok to walk during the Marathon if you need to…you just have to try and finish.” Does my body have to get there first before my mind catches up or is it the other way around? I’m not what you’d think of when you think “runner.” I’m not the girl who walks down the street and you think “Wow, I bet she was a runner.”

Looking back at both of my blogs, I can’t believe how much I’ve changed this year. Here are the stats:

I’ve run/worked out 41% of the days in 2007.

I’ve run a one ½ Marthon, one 10 miler, four 10ks, two 8ks, one 6k, ten 5k’s, run a leg in a marathon relay and climbed both the Sears Tower and the Hancock. That’s a total of 126. 32k or 78.3 miles in just road races. That doesn’t even count training runs. (I haven’t counted those miles yet, but I am curious!)

I've learned ALOT this year (and I know I still have even more to learn. What I understand best is that running really is about the journey. That what you get out of running is different for everyone. Each run has a lesson and a purpose, it may not go as planned but you can learn something just the same. To be honest, I don’t know how it snuck up on me, but I’m proud to say, that in 2007, I think I became a runner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of my Bethie!!! We're gonna rock Cincinnati!!!