Sunday, August 5, 2007

For the Love of the Game…

It finally happened. Barry Bonds tied Hank Aaron’s all time home run record. It’s probably a happy day for some baseball fans, however I can’t help feeling a little sad.

Maybe I’m just an old soul, but it seems the good old days are gone. At this point you’d have to have been unfrozen from a glacier to not realize that steroid use is rampant in MLB, and probably most other sports for that matter. While, even in the middle of my rant, I can admit that that hitting 755 homeruns is an amazing feat, how much more awesome would it be if this record wasn’t accompanied by an asterisk for juicing. (And yes, I know Bonds denies these allegations.)

Furthermore, Bonds has stated that he’s only going to play in home games so he can break the record at home. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? (Can you tell I’m fired up?) What happened to team work? What happened to playing a sport for the shear love of the game? When did professional athletes become bigger princesses than the ones at Disney World? This is beyond aggravating!! Is he that useless of a left fielder that his sole purpose to hit homeruns? For a man who’s making 20 million a year, I think he should get his ass out on the field and play. In addition, if I was playing a professional sport, I think it would be even more fulfilling to break a record in someone else’s field…like if a Cub broke a record in St. Louis for example.

I guess I should be used to baseball breaking my heart, after all—I am a life long Cubs fan.

Sigh, it’s a good thing football season is starting up…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I gotta say - F*UCK BARRY BONDS! That bastard juiced and he knows it! And I totally agree -- he gets paid way more money than he deserves so he should get his ass out on the field and play! What a tool!