Monday, August 6, 2007

Freezing Ice Bucket-O-Fun

I did something to the arch of my foot. I’m not really sure what I did, but I noticed yesterday that it was quite tender to the touch. I tried rubbing it a little before my run this morning, but I had to cut the run short. I even tried stretching it a little more this evening. No good.

Due to my years of being an athlete, working as a student trainer and the well known fact that I’m accident prone; I’ve spent my fair share of time in the training room. Therefore, I have a basic knowledge of first aid for sports injuries. 99% of the time the correct answer for an injury is ice. I’m sure most of you from Luther can probably still hear Mr. Miller, in his Eeyore-esque voice, saying “Ice it”.

The ice pack wasn’t cutting it. I couldn’t find my standard peas in the freezer (I hope my parents didn’t eat those while they were here visiting—ew!). Frozen peas are the best for molding to the shape of the injury and refreezing quickly (just don’t eat them after all the freezing and unfreezing!). So I did what I had to do…I filled a bucket with ice and water to soak my poor foot.

Clearly it’s been a while since I’ve needed this remedy because the second my foot took the plunge--HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!! I forgot how much that sucks!! Seriously, there was a day when I would ask the trainers to add more ice to the whirl pool because the temperature had gotten up to 55 degrees. I’d be perfectly content sitting on the edge of the whirl pool, wearing a sweatshirt and shorts, drawing the alphabet with my toes. This first soaking in a long time caused quite the string of obscenities. Fortunately, once I calmed down, I remembered that the soaking does get better…no matter how cold the water your feet will eventually go numb.

Hopefully this will work the kinks out of my poor arch…until then pay no attention to the Tourette's style screaming coming from my house.

**This post was written while my feet were in the freezing ice bucket-o-fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ice Ice Bethie"...

It's early - it's all I've got! ;)


Chandler: Toes on Ice coming soon to Madison Square Garden…

Ross: Save your strength man!

Anonymous said...

Since I can't think of anything sarcastic to say, I'll stick with what I know...
If this lingers, it might develop into plantar faciitis (you'll know b/c it'll hurt worst when you first get up and move, then get better as you walk more). If this is the case, stretch and ice the crap (in your case, maybe lint) out of it.