Sunday, October 29, 2006

Holy Cow, that was fun!

Yesterday was the last day of the IAEA conference. I had fun making my Haitian Spirit bottle. Something interesting that I learned about them is that these bottles were used as a part of the Vodou religious altars and ceremonies. The spirit part does not refer to keeping a soul in the bottle, rather alcoholic spirits. The liquor (rum, whiskey or gin) is kept in the bottle until they are needed in the ceremony. Then a priest or priestess sips from the bottle and sprays the liquor on the alter and persons requesting the ceremony. The spirits bless whom or what ever was sprayed.

Here’s my bottle:




And yes, the protective talisman on top of the bottle is in fact Liono from Thundercats! When I found him in the collage materials, I knew he was my “protective entity”!





Here are some others that were made at the workshop at the Intuit Center.





There were even free 15 minute massages at the last event. The last event was a vendor give away, and you don’t know what you’re going to get. Unfortunately, I won 13 lbs. of clay. Not that I’m not grateful or anything (my 6th graders are going to make something fun with it!), but lugging home a huge bag of clay on the el sucked!






After the IAEA conference, I went with Julia to a Halloween Party.

Here’s Julia and I all dressed up. Julia is “Holy Cow” (you can’t see her wings) and I’m the pirate (Arrgh! I forgot me eye patch!).






I found that people knew what I was faster when I carried around this prop from the bar…”but WHY is all the rum gone!”





It was fun to meet new people, and talk with Tina and Pete. I think I needed to avoid the Ghostbuster.

I also spent the evening “hitting on” Mike—he’s such a good listener!





Thanks Julia for bringing me along! Good Times!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow is right! Good times, good times. If only dressing up in costumes was acceptable more than once a year. *sigh* Oh well.
Who you gonna call?...Maybe not Ghostbusters!

=) ~juls

Anonymous said...

Thundercats-HO!!

Bethie said...

To clarify, Mom, "Mike" is stuffed and not a real person.