Friday, February 29, 2008

Marathon Training Update

Well, training has been going along. I won't say it's been going well, but it's been going. Many of you may notice that I have the running blog (at least someone's reading it because my hit counter keeps climbing!) where I log all my workouts, and attached to both blogs is my Runner's World Running Log. I have both because the Runner's World Log calculates my total mileage...and I hate math so it's nice to have (do you realize I’ve run over 125 miles this year?!?). The On the Go blog I started last year before I started the Runner's World and have just been keeping up with it because it allows me to rant and rave or give myself props. It's both cathartic and motivational.

Lately my left foot has been sore (and I mean, more so than the rest of me—I had no idea I had that many muscles in my ass that could hurt!!). I’m certain it’s the result of running on ice and snow. I’ve taken it easy the last two weeks. I felt as if I needed to let it heal, but now I fear my training has suffered. Oh, the delicate balance!

And what the hell is up with this weather!?! I think that the weather gods are getting a thrill from kicking my ass. I can’t remember a winter that was this bad in a while. Not that I thought training would be a piece of cake, but I didn’t think that the weather would try to kill me too! Running 12 miles in ice and snow is no picnic. I would not recommend it, I don’t care how in shape or motivated you are—it blows (I have proof).

My other complaint (clearly this update has turned into a rant!) is that how is it that I seem to be the only human being alive that GAINS WEIGHT while training for a marathon. Seriously, WTF!?! Runners are supposed to be svelte and skinny. That’s soooo not happening. Weight loss was not the primary reason I got in this, but I had hoped it would just come with the territory. And don’t give me that crap about muscle weighing more than fat…if that was true, my size would have gone down and my weight would have stayed the same. Clearly, I’m a medical marvel for this to occur, and for the record it’s crap!

This weekend is the first weekend when I will run over 13 miles. I’ve got 15 miles on deck. Quite frankly it scares the shit out of me. Seriously, who runs that far? (Clearly I’m becoming “That Guy”.) Sometimes when I search locations on Google maps, I give my zip code and look for places with in a 15 mile radius and sometimes I think, “Dude, that’s too far, I’ll pick the closer place!” I believe I have to run from Waveland to Soldier Field and back. I was thinking, thank god for my running group, but my both my pace group leader, Elaine and Becky, my running buddy, won’t be there. I’m totally trying to psych myself up, but it’s not working. Sure it’s only 2 more miles than my longest run that I’ve ever done…but I don’t seem to believe myself. I’m sure I’ll feel like a rock star if and when my slow ass finishes, but until then, yeah—FREAKING OUT!!! (Is it wrong to run with my bus pass/cab money just incase?)

There is some good news to the crazy style distances. My librarian at school has lent me a copy of a book on tape. She “reads” on her commute. I’ve decided that since I have 3 hours worth of running maybe I should give it a whirl. I mean, really, how many times can I hear the song “Milkshake” on my running mix? The point of having a running mix is to distract myself from wanting to kill myself from all the running, not add to my suicidal tendencies by incessantly hearing “My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard! (Damn right, it’s better than yours!)”. I’ll let you know how Snowflower and the Secret Fan turns out. So far, I was completely wigged out buy the account on foot binding.

So that’s my story. I fully expect that every one of you sleep in on Saturday morning so that I can have all your energy for my run. (I know it’s hard thing to ask—people to sleep in for me!) Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Greenhouse Studio said...

Hearing about your interest in running makes me want to start running....bad weather and all.

At first I was brought to your site be cause you were a fellow art teacher but the running thing makes me want to bust out some old trainer shoes.

The book on tape thing...never thought of that...good idea. If only they could make running an interactive video game, then I'd have a chance at sticking with it.

Enjoy your run.