Saturday, March 1, 2008

MTU Part 2

Since yesterday’s post I wrote that I was freaking out about this run...I've never gone this far, ever. This was 2 more miles than my longest. Seriously, 15 miles? That’s crazy talk!! Who actually runs that far? I was seriously considered putting my bus pass in my pocket just in case the Lakefront Path made me cry.

To start, I pulled up late; seriously, all the groups were walking out as I was getting in. Part of me wanted to go back to bed. I caught the 12:00 ½ marathon group, and then the 11:30s ½ marathon group. I ran with them through the first 3 miles up to the first water stop at North Avenue. That’s when I caught Betsy and the 11:00s for the full marathon. Elaine (the 12:00 pace group leader) had to work today, and poor Becky has pneumonia (there is no 11:30 for the full). Betsy told me she’d look out for me and that I could try to keep up…and I did! (Who knew?) In fact, I actually heard the phrase: “Beth, slow down!” Seriously, outside of Disney World those words have never been spoken. I was pushing the group to run faster than the 10:30’s!! I didn’t even have an asthma attack or entertain taking a nap at the Art Institute (I’ve never actually done it, but I sure as hell have thought about it!).

We ran from the Waveland Clock tower to the sledding hill on the South end of Soldier Field and back. I maintained that pace up through Fullerton. I started to fall back and was running much slower. I was passed by the 10:30’s about mile 14. But I finished in exactly 3 hours. Not counting the water stops and pee break (both are COMPLETELY necessary) that is a 12:00 minute pace…and if you subtract that time, I ran an 11:00 minute pace!

I forced myself to go grocery shopping after (so I could keep moving) and then I sat in an ice bath for 15 minutes—complete with some MAJOR tourette’s style screaming. My performance would have shamed any pirate or trucker. Sorry, Mom, I fully admit my behavior was less than lady like. I’m ok with it and Seamus doesn’t mind. I think that cheese fries and a Shamrock shake is a completely necessary part of my recovery.

I can’t believe I did it!! I’m sore…and hoping it won’t get too much worse. I only wish all my training runs could be this amazing! I’m feeling like a rock star!!