Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Finally, a reason to like Favre!

I am a Bears fan (Yep, that statement wins the award for “DUH”!). Some have argued that I’m more than just a fan, but you can ask those for their testimonials if you want. Moving along, I have to say that for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction, yin for yang and black for white. As a result, the tried and true Bears fan that I am was born to hate all things Packers.

It’s truly the oldest rivalry in the books. And while I can respect the long standing traditions of Green Bay, it doesn’t mean that I have to like them one bit. I take pride in reading stories that a loss to the Bears made Vince Lombardi cry (on more than one occasion). I admit, it’s a little funny that the Pack had a 5 pound bag of horse manure delivered to the Bears locker room before a game in 1984 (Hell, I wish we had thought of it!!) I loathe the fact that Packer Backers wear foam cheese hats. I am appalled that the Packers do not have a fight song, rather sing “Roll Out the Barrel”(Seriously, WTF?!?!). I can only equate it to the former cold war between the United States and the Soviets…I just don’t like the fans that are above the Cheddar Curtain.

So you must know the delight that I felt when I saw on the gym’s tvs that Brett Favre is retiring!! Hallelujah!! I’ve never run 8 miles with a bigger smile on my face!! I thought it was a good day when I learned that morning that we had traded Griese to Tampa Bay for a draft pick in 2009, let alone to hear of the fall of a legend!

There are several reasons why I don’t like Brett Fav-re. First of all, he’s not a Chicago Bear. Yeah, yeah. I can admit he’s a damn good quarterback and a stand-up guy…but he’s still a Packer. Second of all, he named his son Indiana. I hope it’s a family name, because Indiana, the state, blows. I also hate how he sprints about the field waving his finger. Ugh. And his laughing after he takes a hit. Come on, you can’t tell me that doesn’t hurt. Stupid Brett Favre.

I also have to say, I’m going to miss making Brett Favre jokes. After 17 years, I’ve got an excellent stock of them. (I think the two minute drill one is my favorite.) Now that the torch is being passed, I have to come up with some Aaron Rogers jokes. The only one I had was that I wanted his job…to be the Favre’s back up quarterback. I could sit on the bench and draw a pay check. Now I would not want Rogers’ job…to be the guy who has to fill those shoes—sucks to be him! I don’t want to be that guy!

Also want to know what John Madden is going to do? Seriously, everyone knows Madden has a man-crush on Favre. I think we’re going to find a distraught Madden riding his bus all over the backwoods of Mississippi looking for his favorite QB.

So long, Brett Favre. Go on, retire. I have a feeling you’re retiring because you know the Pack won’t make it to the Superbowl next year, and you want to end your career in the playoffs. Go off to your cabin in the woods, and take your Prilosec. I’m certain everywhere above the Cheddar Curtain bunting is hanging in your honor.

3 comments:

Not4Prophet said...

I for one am saddened by his retirement. As it is we have no receiving corps, 3 starting o-linemen, we don't know who's playing QB, and don't even get me started about the running backs. Despite all of that, I had faith that like this year, we could once again sweep the Packers. But now that Father Time is calling quits, how is Lovie supposed to inspire the defense to score 20 points?

Anonymous said...

Packer flags being flown at half staff as of today...Cheese heads being taken off and held over our hearts...hopefully this will be made into a national holiday so we can get another day off during the years to come...

At least we didn't re-sign Rex Grossman, now that's really sad...

Anonymous said...

And Joe scores on 4th and 9 on the Bethmeister!