Thursday, January 24, 2008

Swimming Lessons--Take 1

The Facts:

--I hear that swimming is good for runners. Where running shortens the muscles, swimming lengthens the muscles.

--I want to try a triathlon.

--I had a shitty day along with a broken nose and didn't want to run.

Soooo...I try to go for a swim. Yeah, it was 45 minutes with a lot of kicking and thrashing about. I probably looked like I was involved in a shark attack.

I tried a kick board, but due to an unfortunate accident as a child, that piece of foam scares the the crap out of me. So after I swore at that inanimate object for a while, I tried floating--and I sank. Finally, I tried self coaching and clearly from my performance I will not be named swim coach of the year. Ok, so my self coaching was me telling my self things like "It's ok, you won't drown. It's only 4 feet of water--You can just stand up.", "You ARE a fish." (Complete with my classic fish face), "Become one with the water." and "Nemo, Nemo, Nemo, Nemo..."

I totally need someone to teach me to swim.

6 comments:

Julie said...

A broken nose??? What happened?

Julie said...

A broken nose??? What happened?

Anonymous said...

A broken nose???

just keep swimming... just keep swimming...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Bethie, I started to learn to swim last January and it took me until May to get it ! So don't give up! But I also had Pete as my coach and you really do need a coach. If you are desperate you can always come swim with us to get the basic lesson from Pete. We have a pool membership at BG high school but it's 4 bucks for visitors. They have evening hours from 8:30pm to 10Pm and saturday from 8:30 am to 10am.

Anonymous said...

Fish are friends, not food.

Bethie said...

Julie--I got hit in the face by a student.

Dave--see above, and I'll try that one this week.

Tina--Clearly you and Pete are my offical Triathalon Coaching Staff!

Jon--I have to learn to swim before I can make friends with the fish!