Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sticky Situation

Today, I have my 8th graders, who are making African Masks. It's a fun paper mache project. I usually make the paper mache at home because it's cheaper to use flour and water and make it on the stove than to buy the paste. I had a big plastic container filled with warm paper mache sitting on the passenger seat as I drove to work.

When I got to work, I reached for the paper mache and got a handful of warm stickiness. The lid had popped off of the container and gotten all over my leather seats. I was thinking it wasn't that bad...I could just wipe it up. I went in the school to get some paper towels so that I could clean it.

As I was wiping up the spill, I picked up the container...what originally looked like a few ounces turned out to be almost half the container. My binder for my boards, that the paper mache was sitting upon is completely stuck together. Awesome. I wonder if I can send it in and get credit for it as an art project?

Then I slid the seat forward. Thank God for floor mats because there was a layer of of paper mache under the seats several inches thick. I dumped it off in the parking lot, leaving what looked like a pile of puke. After I scrubbed the remaining puddles, I carried in the floor mat (also looking like a vomitious mess). Glen, our engineer, used the water shower for cleaning and sprayed it down for me.

I think I got most of the mess...at least I hope I did. I really don't want to head out to the car later and have it smell like rancid paper mache. I currently am working on drying my binder for the boards, and cleaning the paper mache from my shoes, clothes and hair. Ugh! What a fantastic way to start the day. :(

Does anyone know of a place that does a good job of cleaning car upholstery?

No comments: