Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Wilds of Montana

Ah, the wilds of Montana!

We headed up to Headwaters State Park. This is where the Missouri River Starts as well as the Gallatin River, the Madison River and the Jefferson Rivers feed into it. As we were driving Jeff spotted a MOOSE in the Missouri! You all know of my love of Mooses, so we stopped for some pictures!

We didn't get much closer, because apparently moose are mean, and we didn't want to make it want to charge us...but I'm so psyched I saw a real live MOOSE!

After the moose sighting, we headed to the Lewis and Clark Caverns. (Random trivia: It's the first state park in Montana.) We hiked up the mountain to the mouth of the caverns. It had an amazing view! This is the Jefferson River cutting through the valley.
The caverns had your typical cavey stuff...
Fallen Stalagmite:

Random cave spelunkers :)
This was a beautiful pond in the cave that looked like glass. That's not a reflection you see...the water is just that clear.
There was a section of the caves that had LED lighting. So the colors were much more true. I had no idea that caves were actually pink and purple, rather than earth tones!
Yeah caving! The mountains are such a beautiful place to play!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your memory is slipping... You say Moose in Yellowstone. age 7
LOL

Bethie said...

I didn't say it was my first moose sighting, and that doesn't make me any less excited to see one.

Besides it's been more than 20 years since I've seen a moose in the wild!! (Please forgive my fuzzy moose memories!)

GO MOOSE!!

Mel said...

Quick, it's a moose! Someone call for Sarah Palin!!!