Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Frog Poaching

Ah, the set up. In my experience these never go well. However, the hopeless romantic in me seems to say yes, because "You never know!"

I was set up for a lunch date. As we were chatting, Greg* asks me if I'm a vegetarian, saying that Katie** was one. Now, this was a set up, but Katie was not the person who set us up. In fact, I don't think I know a Katie. Hmm...glancing down at what I now notice as a ring on his left hand I ask "Are you married?"

To which he responded, "Yeah, do you have a problem with that?"

Do I have a problem?!?! As a woman of good moral character, I absolutely cannot date a man who is involved with another woman. I wouldn't want to be that woman. Heck, I've been that woman and it sucks! Therefore I would never want to do that to someone else. If you're an unhappy froggie, grow a pair and break up with her and move on. I know it might be tough, but in the long run it's a benefit for everyone. But I digress, I am NOT A MAN POACHER!! Furthermore, knowing that the man I was with was that easily distracted from the original woman would just make me insecure about his feelings for me. I guess it's that whole, "once a cheater, always a cheater" thing.

My response was to ask the waitress for a take out box, dumped my sandwich into it (hey, I was hungry!!) and walked out.

*Why I feel the need to protect the frogs, I'll never know--but that's not his real name.
**Also not her real name.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Who in the world would have set you up with a married man in the first place?!? I have learned during my pathetic excuse for a dating life to always ask if they are married (ring or no ring)... and now also always ask if they have a girlfriend. Funny how that kind of information never seems to come up when they're hitting on you unless you ask it...

Bethie said...

When I called to confront her, she sounded shocked. I don't think she realized that he was married.