Monday, November 27, 2006

Friends, vegans, vegetarians...lend me your cookbooks!

I decided to be creative with dinner tonight. I had some tofu in the fridge and on the way home from the gym, I decided that tofu tacos would be fun! I had made some pico de gallo over the weekend, so I picked up some cheese and tortillas on the way home.

I crumbled up the tofu in the pan and cooked it with the taco spice packet...and something went dreadfully wrong. It wouldn't cook. It was warm, but squishy. What the hell?!?! I cooked off all the liquid, but what remained was a gelatinous mess! It looked ok...but sure was squishy.






I decided to give it a go. It looks sorta like chicken.






With the rest of the toppings we seem to be ok...



But when I actually bit in to it, it was very wrong. Don't get me wrong, the flavor was fine, BUT it was like eating taco paste! Who wants warm taco goo for dinner? What did I do wrong? I heard that tofu cooks just like meat, what happened? If there's a market for a high protein taco flavored jello, I'm on it! Ugh, tonights dinner was a total waste of cheese.

Can someone help before another tofu mishap strikes again?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude - you actually ate what tacos barf up.

Anonymous said...

Was your tofu a soft tofu? If so, you could experiment again with firm tofu.

-Julia

Bethie said...

It was the firm kind. I really don't know what went wrong!