Monday, December 5, 2005

I hate Ketchup

I was having one of those days…you know the ones. My students were screwy, rude, and obnoxious. A member of the administration happened to be wandering by when these kids were acting up. I noticed a student had been cutting herself…

Ya, know typical day at my school.

So I decide to head for some comfort food and the gym. (The gym to work off the calories of the comfort food and burn some frustration) I stop at Mr. Submarine. It was a random choice. I don’t usually frequent the place unless I’m up late and slightly inebriated and Nick is driving, but it was on the way and it had a drive through, so I stopped.

I order a hot dog. Everything on it.

Now, I live in Chicago. Food is taken very seriously here. A hot dog, in Chicago, is supposed to have certain things:
- A BEEF hot dog (the less mystery meat the better),
-Mustard (yellow, not the dejon or Stadium Mustard),
- Sweet Relish,
- Tomato slices,
- Raw Onion,
- Dill Pickle Spear,
- Sport Peppers (which I can consent to being optional) and
- Celery salt,
- all heaped on a Poppy Seed Bun.

When I got my dog, it had onions, relish and FUCKING KETCHUP!

WHAT THE HELL!!! As if my day wasn’t bad enough. I was so annoyed I couldn’t even eat it. I could have handled missing a few missing items, but the ketchup thing is just wrong! I understand that there are people who have other preferences. I understand that there are people who love ketchup and actually eat it with a fork (Andy). But what kind of place puts ketchup on a CHICAGO style hot dog?!?! I know that if I’m in New York and I order a dog with “everything” I may end up with sauerkraut, but I expect that! Anywhere with a 773 or 312 area code should know better. There are places that don’t even have ketchup in their facility, not even for fries!!

Isn’t there a law against this?

UGH! Just when I thought my day couldn’t get worse, the fuck-up fairy tops it off with a little ketchup. Next time, I’ll take the extra time and head to Super Dawg, or Dog Stop.

But on that note, where are your fav hot dog spots? (Sometimes a girl needs back up!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ketchup???? Are you F%$#@*&ING Kidding me??? You poor, poor, thing. I know a few good therapists if you need one. I feel your trauma. I feel your pain.

And as for Mr. Submarine, perhaps he should be introduced to Mr. Vinny "the fish" and his "cousin" Vito.

For the love of everything that is Holy... KETCHUP... on a HOT DOG... IN CHICAGO!!!

There just HAS to be at LEAST a City Ordinance about this.

Let the smoking ban die in committee, we've got a MUCH more serious problem on our hands.

MY GOD MAN! Ketchup on a hot dog. I have to take a Benadryl. I'm getting hives just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

I understand that there are regional traditions, styles... attitudes... Hell... I'm southern. You can't get any more "set" in your ways than that...

But HONEY!!!! Breathe!!! The nightmares will subside soon... even the ones about ketchup covered hot dogs in Chicago.... I promise.

I'm thinking you people in the windy city need hobbies.... BADLY. :)

Angel

Anonymous said...

Bethie- I live in the Quad Cities where a hot dog is naked on the bun, and was probably prepared in a microwave or boiled in a pot. We don't do dogs here.

Bethie said...

Tough crowd....

Thanks, Dave, for feelin' my pain. At least someone understands!

Imagine if I started in on pizza!

(f a y a z) said...

I'm with you. I hate ketchup so much, that my roommates have to hide little packets in their rooms lest I find some and chuck it. It is the condiment or morons. It doesn't enhance the flavour of anything, rather it covers them up. Worst of all, people don't even ask themselves if they like it, they just eat it because its there.

Anonymous said...

If someone put ketchup on my hot dog...I swear I would throw it at them...I would be soo pissed off.
Shoulda went to superdog..they somtimes roll there eyes if you ask for ketchup...its great! Haha