Thursday, November 10, 2005

Parents amaze me...

Report Card pick up for the first quarter was yesterday. Why is it that parents barging into my classroom to scream at me for giving their child a low grade in Art? Luckily, I can always justify my grades.

Here’s how things went:

Parent: “How can my child be failing art? It’s easy, it’s not like it’s as important as Math or Reading”

My Internal Monologue: “Thanks for saying in front of your child that the subject matter that I received a masters degree in, is not important.—cuz’ that will encourage them to do better! Not to mention it insults the person giving your child that grade”

Actual comment: “Well, let’s ask your child what they’ve been doing in my class.”

Student: “Nothing.”

Internal Monologue: “No shit captain obvious.”

Actual Comment: If the student doesn’t turn in work I have nothing to grade. I have to give him a zero. That means they get an F. If you turn all your work in, you should get at least a D. If you try you can probably get a C or a B.

Parent: “How can you be doing nothing?! Are the projects to hard?”

Internal Monologue: “We’re painting. It’s not brain surgery. You put the brush in the paint and the paint on the paper!!”

Actual Comment: We’ve been painting. I give out one color of paint to use each week. If the child only has one color on their paper, that means they didn’t do anything the other days.” (Sneaky, but it’s an easy way to CYA!)

Parent: (Changing their tune) “Oh, well then we need to work harder, don’t we.”

Parent exits dragging their child out of the room.

**Sigh** Only 3 quarters to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss art classes. I was never particulary good at any of them, but I sure did enjoy them. (except for the time in 4th grade when I got sent to the Principal's office for making an ash tray for my clay project) Every time I brought home the requisite candy dish clay project home, my Mom used it as an ash tray. I just figured I'd add the grooves in the side this time. (you know.. the whole form follows function thing) Ms. Smith pretty much dragged me by the throat to the office.

molly said...

hey bethie!
i didn't know you had a blog! nice job! you should have mentioned it, i will give you a 'shout out' now! (since you're such a faithful reader of mine!!)

molls

Bethie said...

Dave--I'd be happy if I could get clay supplies for my classroom and the students actually used those supplies to create SOMETHING!

Molly--Thanks for stoppin' by! I'm so happy you like my blog! You and Dave were my inspiration to start one of my very own! :)