Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Creepy Crawlies

I have a story to share and it’s the aural equivalent of a train wreck. You know what I mean, it’s so gross, you can’t help but share it. I will say I’m quite thankful it didn’t happen to me.

As many of you know, I teach in an inner city school. Many of my students don’t have the same advantages that other students have. But I am not stating any names, nor am I mentioning the name of my school. I did not see any of this happen, I only heard from a reliable source.

With that disclaimer, on with the story…

This morning, there was an odd call for the head engineer to report to room 105. Usually he’s called to the office, not a specific classroom. I realized it was the band room, but figured a student may have gotten a mouth piece or something stuck on their instrument. Not long after, I received a distressed IM from the band teacher. She told me the whole story…

Students are allowed to check out instruments from the school to take home and practice, they must be returned the following morning. The teacher was working with a sectional of students and when one student returned a trumpet, the teacher told her to set it down in her classroom and she would put it away for her. Not long after the student had left, the students who were in the room practicing noticed something odd about the trumpet case. They notified the teacher and the band teacher went over to investigate.

Upon a closer look, the band teacher discovered a roach was crawling out of the case. As gross is that is, she simply wanted to squish it, but it gets worse. When the band teacher opened the case about a hundred roaches ran out of it.

I WOULD HAVE DIED!!!

Can you imagine? Opening a trumpet case and having roaches scatter from it?!? Several cans of Raid later, the band teacher decided that the student may no longer check out instruments. The engineer was called for the Raid. He threw out the case and said it was the worst infestation he had ever seen.

ICK!!! (I still get the heebie-jeebies just thinking of it!)

No good can come from having to spray Raid in a trumpet and then blow in it. Can you imagine having to pick out dead roaches from the valves of a trumpet?!?!

So, when you have a bad day at work…just remember: It could be a lot worse.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was after a one night checkout?? Can you imagine what that poor kid's HOME must be like if that many got into a trumpet case in ONE NIGHT???

Somebody REALLY needs to call DCFS or the Health Department or the Center for Disease Control or some other agency. Hell, call ALL of them.

Anonymous said...

you should never blow anything that has roaches coming out of it, but aside from that, you should blow anything you can.

-Hungarian Proverb

Anonymous said...

That couldn't possibly have happened overnight!!! Could it?!?! I mean... not without them being baited into the case with something!

*shiver*

ANYWAY... aside from that, I agree completely with the anonymous person.

And yay! The link worked!

(I'm gonna have to get a stupid blogger account just to post on these sites... ugh)

Angel

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Bethie! I hope you write more. You have a very classy style.

We are practically related, btw. I'm a friend of Angel's, who's a friend of David's, who's a friend of yours :)

Anonymous said...

And 3 of the 4 of us are from the Chicagoland Area!

Angel, when posting to a blogger site, choose "Other" rather than "Anonymous" and you can put your name and URL in. :-)