Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Because the Milkshake Wasn't Bad Enough!

I went to the gym for a killer work out. I ran, biked, worked out with Hector and swam. I was walking back to my locker feeling pretty good about myself, and that's when the problems started.

I turned the corner and saw my stuff strewn about. In the less than 20 minutes I was at the pool someone had broken in to my locker (with a lock on it) and stolen my stuff!! My Blackberry, wallet, planner, keys and, to add insult to injury, MY CLOTHES!!! They stole my work clothes and my sweaty gym clothes!! Including my shoes (with about 300 miles on them) and underwear!! All that was left was my bag and a few smaller items. Even the lock was gone!!

If that wasn't bad enough, I gathered what's left of my things and had to walk out to the front desk in a bikini that's a size too big and about 5 years old and a towel to go and ask for help. On my list of mortifying things, "public nakedness" is up there. I was at the front desk, obviously upset, and they asked what was taken and then offered to help me look for my stuff. One of the girls asked "Why don't you get dressed and we'll help you look for your stuff." I was very upset at this point and may have yelled "I can't because THEY STOLE MY CLOTHES!!" Really, because I make it a point to hang out at the gym front desk at 6:45 pm (a peak time) practically naked.

Several of the girls and one of the managers went to the locker room and searched it for me, not finding any thing. One of the girls asked what size clothes I wore and picked out an outfit for me at the pro-shop. I felt so pitiful saying "I'm sorry, I can't pay for these." She told me not to worry about it. Thank God, because I was so uncomfortable!! I put on the clothes (and bless her heart) it was a perfect fit. Unfortunately, (and I hate to sound ungrateful) the girl picked out a white t-shirt. The problem, was the wet swim top underneath (Hello! Wet t-shirt contest!) How I didn't end up with a date out of this, I'll never know. I was upset, and everyone at the gym was looking at me (or so it felt). It really was the perfect storm of embarrassment.

After I was dressed, they let me sit at the front desk and call to cancel my credit and debit cards until the police came. I also called Jack to come and get me and to tow my car home. The police filed a report for me, they asked me where my shoes were and I was stifling back tears when I said "They were stolen." The officer was really nice and not only gave me his number in case anything happened but also sent a police car to sit outside my house to make sure I was safe and no one was trying to get in (extra nice!). Jack took me to Verizon to activate an old phone and called a locksmith for me and stayed with me until my locks were changed.

It's a huge nightmare as I work on getting EVERYTHING replaced. What's the topping to this fan-frickin'-tastic day? Oh, I had a summons for jury duty sitting in my mail box. Yeah, it was an AWESOME day.

2 comments:

SuperJuls said...

=(

Hold on, I'll get my cape...

I know it won't fix anything but prepare for SuperJuls' family hugs tomorrow.

Nick Esposito said...

Bethie I thought of a song that is needed for such a situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzU9FgNTYrU