Thursday, April 2, 2009

My Milkshake Brings All the Boys to the Yard...

I was in Greek Town, getting Melissa some dinner from Mr. Greek. She had been sick (and still is) and I offered to pick her up some dinner. I wasn't really hungry, so I just ordered a milkshake and some fruit for myself. They put the two drinks (my milkshake and Melissa's Diet Pepsi) in a drink carrier.

As I was walking to the car, this homeless guy (who had asked me for change as I walked into Mr. Greek), ran up and snatched my milkshake from the carrier and took off!

I stood there, on Jackson Ave. looking bewildered thinking "Seriously?! Was I just mugged for a milkshake?! Really? Am being punked?"

He clearly wasn't even going for my purse. It was on the other side of me, securely under my arm. This guy was going for the food. I couldn't believe it! And it's not like I was going to chase him down. I mean, he's homeless. He probably needed it more than I did. Besides, could you imagine explaining that one to the police:

"Ma'am, Why were you beating this man?"
"Because he stole my milkshake."
"You're beating a homeless guy over a milkshake?"

See my point? And I don't think "Well, it was chocolate!" would be considered a valid defense.

It's too crazy! If he had asked for it, I would have just given it to him. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt (aside for spilling a little Diet Pepsi on my arm), and my purse wasn't taken. So, once I got over the fact that I was with out a milkshake (just fruit isn't the same), I thought the whole thing was pretty funny.

1 comment:

SuperJuls said...

I've had a guy take my box of left over out of my hand without asking. Then he RETURNED it to me after finding out it was salmon. And he didn't say he was allergic or something like that. It was just a "I don't like that!" Seriously? And for the record, if he had asked, I would have handed it to him. Also for the record, if he was hungry, he would have kept it.