Friday, January 30, 2009

Why I Should Not be Left to My Own Devices

I've been home sick the last two days with a wicked sinus infection. In fact, yesterday, I was awake long enough to call in sick, go to the doctor, get a prescription from Walgreen's, watch our Governor get ousted and, of course, Gray's Anatomy (Yes, there was much napping between these events).

I still feel pretty crappy today, even if I've only been awake for an hour or so. And I'd like to share with you some reasons why I should not be left to my own devices. I decided to eat something (marshmallow's and grapefruit--yesterday I had leftovers; pasta and chocolate), shower (it's been a few days) and use the Neti pot.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Neti pot, it's a plastic pot that looks kinda like Aladdin's lamp. You're supposed to mix a diluted saline solution and use it to rinse your sinuses. I often forget to actually use it until it's too late, I found that while it's really weird the first couple of times using it, it really does work.

Any who, I figured since I have a horrible sinus infection, now would be an excellent time to use it. But as I was looking for the saline (ie SALT) packets in the medicine cabinet, I came across a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. I was thinking, "Hey--this is good for wound care! If I rinse with this, it will help my sinus infection!"

So...I poured some in to the pot, with the saline packet and mixed the two. I did not add water as you're supposed to, per the mixing directions of the packet. I warmed the solution, tilted my head over the sink to use it and...

HOLY CRAP!!! It was like I snorted Pop Rocks and a carbonated beverage up my nose! I was completely unprepared for the mayhem that ensued. I was snotting and fizzing all over the bathroom, flailing about like a sprinkler. OH, SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!!! I thought for a second that an alien was going to burst out of my face!!! I couldn't even see straight until all the bubbling subsided.

Not only was the peroxide clearly working on any infected areas in my sinuses, but it was also being gently rinsed after with salt! I have to say it did clear out the one side that I was able to use it on...but next time IF I decide to try it again, I'm thinking DILUTE the peroxide first.

Please learn from my mistake. Don't put hydrogen peroxide and salt up your nose when you have a sinus infection. It's just not a good idea. I really should not be left to my own devices...clearly, I'm just trouble.

2 comments:

SuperJuls said...

oh...my...

My sinuses are crying just thinking about it...

Feel better soon!

And maybe stick to saline water in your neti pot =p

Anonymous said...

There's a prior Bethie quote that is entirely perfect: "That shit ain't supposed to fizz!"