Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It just takes a minute...

I know it's been a while since I've blogged (sorry, Elaine!!). I've just been a busy girl!! I know that I have some posting to do on both of my blogs! I just wanted to take the time to post some info for a cause near and dear to me.

Most of you know that there is a special place in my heart for those serving in our country's military. Having been the daughter of a man who served in the Navy during Vietnam, and the granddaughter of one who was a Marine in WWII, I learned at an early age to respect the gift I've been given at the cost of those who have served. I came to appreciate this much more when I traveled overseas.

I've always believed that even if you don't agree with the reasons that our troops have been deployed it is still our responsibility to support them (I mean, do you really think someone wants to be sent thousands of miles way to a giant sandbox away from their families and friends?!?) I realize these men and women, are just doing their jobs. If one doesn't agree with the allocation of troops and funding it's our responsibility to elect those who will ensure their care.

Anywho, off my soap box and on to my point. While there are many sites that offer ways to send care packages to soldiers (anysoldier.com, Soldier's Angel's, The Hugs Project, ect...) here's a even simpler (and cheaper) way to show a soldier you care. Let'sSayThanks.com donates cards to send to troops that are overseas. It's as simple as a few clicks of the mouse. Second, Walter Reed, VA accepts general cards to recovering soldiers. I know that I always have a few extra holiday cards from the boxes, and maybe you do too! Just send it off to the hospital, and send some cheer to someone. Here's the address:

A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
Washington,D.C. 20307-5001

I hope that you all can find time to spread some cheer. It only takes a minute!!

(Thanks to Petra for the link and Mom for the info!)

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Was just at the post office where I think they have similar opportunites, so thanks for sharing this one! And yes, you are way behind on your blogs Bethie! See you soon.