Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Nerve!!

It seems there have complications from my oral surgery last week. My tooth had gnarly roots that were curly (see previous post). Those roots curled around a nerve in my jaw. As mentioned, the possibility of that nerve being bruised has actually happened.

Now, don't fret. This doesn't hurt. The opposite is true, I'm numb and have no feeling from the middle of my lip, down to my chin, across my jaw and some in the lower cheek. I called the dentist the next morning, to let him know that I still felt like the novacane hasn't warn off yet. He told me not to worry and made an appointment for me to see him on Thursday.

I have to say, it doesn't hurt, but it is freakin' annoying!! I bite my lip or cheek and don't realize it until it starts to bleed. I drool and awful lot. I don't realize when there is food on my face. Putting on lipstick is a huge challenge (I can't feel the tube on my lip). And often, when I drink I don't realize my beverage is dribbling out of the corner of my mouth until it hits my chest. I feel like a stroke victim!! I'm worried that my lip looks fat and my mouth/smile is lopsided. I certainly don't want to be mistaken for Roger Ebert!

I'm not really sure what I can do about it. I guess it's just wait and see, but I'll keep you updated. I'm thinking about adding the Tooth Fairy to my hit list.

2 comments:

molly said...

has your mouth un-numbed yet?? that would be fun for a few hours, but to go on and on would freak me out!

good luck!

Anonymous said...

OMG! The same thing happened to me. I don't mean to scare you, but it has been three years and I still have a numb patch on the left side of my lip and chin. It's not as bad as it was the first six months, but it can still be annoying. There are certain consonant combinations that make me stumble on a word, like my lip can't keep up with what I'm trying to say. Shaving feels REALLY wierd. I am now obsessive about wiping my chin when eating anything that may possibly be running down my face.

I feel your pain.