Monday, May 1, 2006

Tales IV

I know I haven't posted about my students in a while, so here it goes!

For the record, today was fairly un-eventful. Most of my students were absent because they were attending the immigration rally downtown. But there is some news about one of my sixth graders.

She's pregnant. (Yes, you read correctly. I said 6th grade. That means she's about 12 or 13.) She'll be transferring out to attend a special school that can better meet her needs.

What tops it, is the fact that her mother was in about some of her daughter's report card grades. This girl didn't attend many classes due to chronic absences, and as a result she was not receiving passing grades. The mother complained to her homeroom teacher "You don't understand how hard it is for me to get my kids [to school]! I have eight kids and two of them are pregnant!"

No comments: