Saturday, May 20, 2006

Lookin' for a place where everybody knows my name...

Back in the day, my bar was Mike's American Ale House. I wandered in one day with a mountian of papers to grade and needed a place to grade them. I ordered a beer and a burger and the friendly bartender came over to chat...The rest is history.

I was a regular. All the staff knew me. It didn't matter if I came in alone, because there was always someone to talk to and the staff always seemed to be looking out for me. I'd help clean up at the end of the night, Sean would make my burgers extra bloody, Mike was always around for a great story...

But then I got busy. Did the master's degree thing. Had someone's ex-girlfriend threaten to kick my ass is if she caught me in there. I'm not confrontational...so I drifted away. Mike's moved further down the street. It's no longer "stumble distance". I hear they have pizza now, and a second location. I miss the good ol' days. I need to find that place where everyone knows my name.

Maybe I'll give it another go. It's been a while, but maybe I can get my old bar stool back.

3 comments:

molly said...

dude! why were you threatened by and ex-girlfriend! what did you do?!?!?

Bethie said...

She threatened to kick my ass if she caught me in the bar. I decided I really wasn't interested in a cat fight (I'm no longer dating that boy anyway...so he wasn't worth the fight!). So, I walked. She's also the same girl who showed up at my house to "have a little chat".

molly said...

beeeaaaatch!!

bethie screams out "IT'S ON!!" like that psycho bitch Toni from that reality show, paradise island, or what ever it was . wasn't she from chicago anyways???

ha ha. i just made myself laugh.

yep, just me!