Saturday, June 20, 2009

TDC09--Southport Grocery & Cafe

After a long run, Danielle, Melissa and I headed to Southport Grocery & Cafe. Based on the looks of this place (and the location and website) I really had high expectations. It looked like a great brunch spot, but it also had a bakery counter. After waiting and almost excessively long time, not so excessive that we had to leave, but at least 10 minutes (there was no one in line ahead of us, the people working there were just screwing around), I ordered a vanilla cupcake and milk. They guy who took my order was quite rude, asking "Is that all the rest of you are getting too?" (What does it matter?!) The service really was less than hospitable.

We headed out of there for a bench across the street. Again, a disappointing cupcake. The frosting was clearly shortening based (I could taste the shortening, meaning they should have used more butter flavoring). It just wasn't a good cupcake. The cake itself was a little dry. I ate it, but that combined with the attitude and service I wouldn't recommend this place.

Southport Grocery & Cafe-- ** 2 Sprinkles :(
3552 N. Southport • Chicago IL 60657 • 773-665-0100

No comments: