Wednesday, February 1, 2006

My sick day...

Today I finally took a sick day. I pushed myself through Monday and Tuesday with a sinus infection and decided that I needed to sleep all day rather than go to school. But around 2:30, my plan was shattered. I had run out of cold medicine and Kleenex!!

UGH! So, I dragged my carcass out of bed and headed to Walgreens. I picked up the essentials (including a nutty bar—hey, it made me feel a little better!) and was looking for my old stand-by cold medicine.

Thanks to a new Illinois law, some cold medicines must now be purchased from the pharmacy. I found the little card for “Wal-phed” (it’s a generic for Sudafed, but it doesn’t have the alcohol interaction and it’s cheap….something I discovered in college). I headed to the pharmacy to get the stuff.

I’m standing there, feeling like total ass and the pharmacist informs me that I have to sign a log to purchase the stuff. She then looks at me and says “You know you have to be 18 to purchase this medication, right?” At this point I thought I was going to snot on the counter, so I busted open the Kleenex. I laughed and told her I was 26. She said that she still needed to see some ID. I said “Well, bless your heart” as I pulled out my wallet. I filled out the log (name, address, date, time, product and number of pills) and she checked me out. It completely made my day that this chick thought I was under 18. I know you’re all jealous…

But, I can’t believe I was “carded” to buy cold medicine!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling better.

I don't know why, but having to sign a form to get cold medicine REALLY irks me.

The pharmacist said it's beacuse people use it to make Meth.

I have a few reactions to this.

1. Do you really think people with a meth lab are actually PAYING for the Sudafed?? Have you seen how much that crap costs?? Meth would cost more than pure columbian chalk.

2. The guy with his eyes swollen half shut and snot hanging down to his chin JUST MIGHT be actually wanting to get some RELIEF. There's no need to involve Big Brother in this process.

3. There are people who have been trained to kill with a ball point pen. Does that mean I should have to sign a form to pick up a box of Sharpies at OfficeMax?

grrrr

Perhaps I need some decaf. haha

Anonymous said...

In my short medical career, I've learned that crack dealers are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better chemists than any pre-med college kid or grad student around. They have this crap down to a science. AND - they even know what else to put in your system to make the drug last longer (like bicarb or something)! I remember making aspirin in organic lab back in college and it was a pitiful 24% pure. Any common drug dealer would have kicked my ass and made that aspirin not only 100% pure, but somehow morph it into something way better, like oxycontin. This one fact alone makes me feel dumber than the average crack dealer - despite the $200,000 education.

Bethie said...

The question is: Would your average crack dealer waste his time by making asprin?